What is conversion tracking?
You can get easily excited about the number of clicks you receive on your Google Adwords campaign; however, it can be just as easy to become frustrated if these clicks do not convert into cash. To monitor the number of clicks that are converted into sales, as well as observe activity after a click through, you must be using a conversion tracking tool. On or offline, a conversion is a customer action which adds value to your company. Depending on your business, this action could be anything from clicking on your Google Adwords Ad, signing up to your monthly newsletter, downloading your app or purchasing your product or service.
How does conversion tracking work?
If you are already using multiple Google Adwords campaigns, ad groups or keywords, it can be difficult to track which ones are doing the best in terms of conversion and sales and which are making no return on investment. To track this return on investment and potentially save money in a campaign budget by optimising the account, you should be using conversion tracking.
It is important however to make sure that you have access to make changes to your website or a web designer who can make the changes for you. It is also important that you ensure you have the relevant ‘Thank You’ pages that a user is directed to after submission of a form. This must be a specific url, such as www.example.com/thankyou.html as this is where the code is stored. It is a good idea to talk to your website design, marketing or IT department team if you do not have conversion tracking and ask that you add in this feature. This may delay the process but will be worth the time and effort if you are saving money on unsuccessful Adwords campaigns.
How can I set up conversion tracking?
A conversion occurs when your user gets to a certain page in your site when you want them to complete an action. For example, if a user makes a purchase, the next page they will see is a thank you page or receipt of order page. The conversion code that you will later add to your site will track this conversion and show that they have either completed a purchase, signed up to a newsletter, whatever you want to keep an eye on. If you have everything you need to get started, here is our 15 steps in 15 minutes guide to setting up conversion tracking through Google Adwords.
- Log into your Adwords.google.com account
- Select the Tools & Analysis tab at the top of your page
- Select conversions to be redirected to your conversion types page
- Select + New conversion which is in green on the left side of your screen
- Giving your conversion a distinguishable name will help you later recognise this in reports
- Select where the order will be completed (online: webpage/offline: call)
- Save & continue
- Select conversion category
- Select security level (HTTPS means that the purchase is made on a secure page)
- You can choose top let your customers know that you are using this tool by including a tracking indicator
- Save & continue
- Select whether you make changes to the code yourself or you have a webmaster that makes changes for you
- The code snippet will be sent to the webmaster if you select this option
- If not, you can copy and paste the code which appears when you have selected your above choice.
- This code will go on the page you want to track, if it is a purchase, you would copy and paste the given HTML between the body tags of the existing ‘Thank You for your purchase page’ and the same for your ‘Thank You for signing up to our newsletter’
You will now be able to track conversions through your Adwords account
If you would like more guidance on conversion tracking or information on related services, contact us for help today.