The customer journey is the path that your potential customers take from searching for your product to making the buying decision. When you know what your potential buyers are doing at different points of interaction with your business, it is much easier to optimise the customer journey for increased conversions. The different stages in this journey are awareness, consideration, and decision. When it comes to SEO, your keyword research process can be developed around these strategies to achieve the best-possible results.
Knowing what keywords your potential customers are going to use at each stage can help you target them in a much better way. The following tips will help you with your keyword research and keyword mapping efforts.
Understand User Search Intent
The unique thing about SEO is that it is not just about search engines, it is also about people. Search intent is a crucial aspect of keyword research because it will add context to the process of search. And you can use it to deliver the right information to your target audience.
So your keyword research should be focused on finding the best keywords for each stage of the customer journey.
During the awareness stage, your potential customers are going to use informational keywords. And you can find the right keywords to target for this phase by finding answers to the following questions:
- What problems does your product/service solve?
- What changes can it bring?
- What will be the most likely words used by potential customers to describe the problems?
- What is the potential customer’s attitude towards those problems and the likely solutions?
In the consideration phase, your potential customers will be searching using navigational keywords. The search terms will be usually focused on the product, brand name or company name. And they are going to search for both your and your competitions’ products. So you will also have to consider keywords targeted by your competition.
Create a list of your competitors and find answers to the following questions:
- Why does your brand stand out for?
- What is the category of your product/service?
- Consider the pros and cons of your product/service
- What do your customers feel about these pros and cons?
- What products compete with your products in terms of benefits/features and price?
Using answers to these questions, you can find highly targeted keywords for the consideration phase.
During this phase of the customer journey, your potential customers will be searching for transactional keywords. These search terms will have high ‘buying’ intent. When you notice the potential customer using these search queries, you should know that they’re highly likely to make the purchase. The questions that should help you come up with these keywords are:
- What will your potential customers need right before making a purchase?
- What will help them get through the shopping cart quickly?
- Will the prospect make the decision themselves or with the help of someone else?
- What do they expect from the transaction?
So come up with the right keywords that answer these questions to take them successfully through the buying process.
Follow these tips to find the best-possible keywords to address all the different phases in your customer journey. For more information and help visit https://thesearchmarketingshop.com/search-engine-optimisation/. You can also seek assistance from experienced SEO specialists to run a more effective campaign.